Epsom Salt Craziness

Finally got my hands on some epsom salt and I basically went a little cuckoo in the garden this afternoon. Okay, so not ever...

Saturday, July 20, 2019

Breaking Ground


I have started my garden out in containers on the patio then as the weeks progressed, I've changed my mind and tackled the ground instead.


I went in the backyard and looked for a good spot. My mom suggested this particular area. Plenty of sun, enough shade in the morning and late afternoon, just right. 

The first thing I did was hit the ground with a shovel. A cloud of dirt rose up to my face and made me nearly sneeze. Then a thought occurred to me. I watched this one movie a few weeks ago called The War Horse. In this fictional movie, the horse grew up on a farm then eventually ended up on the battlefield in World War I. While it was on the farm, it had to help plow some soil. Poor thing tried with all its might but the ground was very hard and dry. Then a rainstorm occurred. This particular scene inspired me to hose down the plot. Next, I searched the shed for some useful tools. That is when I discovered the cultivator. I also found an old fashioned lawn mower, a push mower. Just for the heck of it, I used the mower on some wet grass. Yeah, I should have known it wouldn't work but I was curious. I set the mower aside then finally used the cultivator. It went pretty well. However, it was still really hard work. A friend of mine reminded me that it is okay to ask for help. So, I humbled myself by the end of the first week and asked a friend.

That friend was able to get this much done in just an hour and a half.

The very next day I moved my zucchini squash from a large container and into the ground.

Then the Large Red Cherry tomato on the left and the Roma tomato plants joined the party.

My three zucchini plants loved their new home so much that it began to bloom!

As of Friday, July 19th, 2019, this is my garden. From left to right back to front are the following:
basil, cherry tomato, corn, corn, roma tomato, basil
corn, corn
pumpkin, zucchini, pumpkin

I learned a little too late through the internet that maybe I shouldn't have planted corn and tomato together. Corn loves nitrogen. However, if tomatoes get too much nitrogen then they grow lots of leaves but little fruit. I guess only time will tell if I can still get some tomatoes out of this garden.

Brief side note: EEEE!!! I've grown my first corn and pumpkin sprouts this week!!! I'm so excited!


No comments:

Post a Comment