Epsom Salt Craziness

Finally got my hands on some epsom salt and I basically went a little cuckoo in the garden this afternoon. Okay, so not ever...

Sunday, July 14, 2019

Caught the Gardening Fever

Last Fall my Doberman of twelve years passed away. He was more than just my dog. He was my friend, protector, guide, little brother, helper, trouble maker, and so much more. The first month was certainly the worst. I used to cry on a daily basis then the tears gradually tapered off. I still get upset and have an occasional bad day but like with most things in life, eventually I just have to move on.

I moved forward with my education plan. I took a year off from college to handle my own health, finally got a hold of my health, then I signed up for the Pathway program. This program is mostly online but people do have to physically meet once a week in a classroom where they can receive help with their online assignments if necessary. This program has helped me ease back into an academic routine. I did not have to launch myself back into a university, get brain-shock as I would like to call it, then fumble with half a dozen assignments due each week. 

However, there was still a small part of me that yearned for something. Something more. I want to nurture something. I want to take care of something just like how I used to care for my dog. I am back in school, I keep up with church responsibilities. I help organize the Sunday program, act as a housing coordinator, and send out a weekly email for my congregation. I go to dialysis every other day like a good little patient. I am on the wait list for a new kidney and I must remain compliant by never missing a treatment by choice. If I am ever labeled noncompliant, then it is buh bye to the wait list.

One day I was playing FarmVille 2 and it suddenly occurred to me. Why not give gardening another try? I did enjoy growing and making things on a virtual game. Why not take it to the next level and really grow something again? I did join a gardening group on Facebook some time ago, primarily because I wanted to trade fruit from my orange tree for fruit from other folks such as avocados. That group may have also given me gardening fever as well. Everyone has grown such delicious produce! I know real gardening is very different from FarmVille but I know with hard work and determination, I can succeed.

My dietician at my dialysis clinic has been another source of inspiration to try gardening. I will go more in-depth with this aspect sometime in the future.

So, with a little bit of help from my Gramma, my mom, and a few friends, I gave into the gardening fever around mid-June of this year. I can now nurture and tend to living things once more. It feels so incredibly good to care for something then see it respond with cheerful little leaves sprouting through the soil and flowers blossoming on its young stems.

There will be a weekly update each Saturday morning. This is an exception as it is my first post and I was too excited to wait any longer.


Always keep growing!

In loving memory of
Ivan Di Altobello
Sept 26, 2006-Sept 6, 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment