Epsom Salt Craziness

Finally got my hands on some epsom salt and I basically went a little cuckoo in the garden this afternoon. Okay, so not ever...

Saturday, August 24, 2019

Buzzing bees

A few weeks ago I saw a couple of bees doing their thing in person for the first time in my life. Well, the first time that I can recall. I was tending to my zucchini plants and saw the usual tiny flies, or whatever those flying critters were, just feasting upon the sweet nectar my plants create. That is when I noticed a particularly large critter. Instantly, I recognized it as a bee. My first thought was to run away but my body kept me in place. I watched in awe as the fuzzy little black and yellow insect cruised around the depths of the large zucchini flower. Carefully, I snapped a few pictures with my phone but as soon as the bee took flight, I ran halfway across the yard, away from the garden.

Now, I am well aware that bees do not go out of their way to sting a person. It's the wasps that do it. Wasps are nothing but jerks that sting multiple times. Over the years, I have learned that bees are precious and a necessity to life on Earth. They only sting once, then their stinger falls off their body and the bee dies shortly thereafter.

Until recent years, I never got stung by a bee so I did not know if I was allergic to them or not. Therefore, I was deathly terrified of bees. Then one night, I went to bed and felt a sharp sting in my arm. I moved my hand to my arm, pulled something tiny and pointy from the skin, then noticed something very tiny and fuzzy laying in my bed under the sheets. Somehow a bee flew into my home and found its way under the covers in my room. I sat there in horror. I took a few deep breaths, braced for any possible reaction. Throat closing up? Nope. Any rash or hives on the skin? Nope. So far, so good. I let my mom know so she could occasionally check on me through the night just in case I had a delayed allergic reaction. By morning, I finally knew. I am not allergic to bees!!!

So, yeah, despite my newfound knowledge of not being allergic to these helpful little critters and I knew that bee wasn't really going to try to get me, I still ran. Somehow, I am still a bit afraid of bees. But really, there is no need to fear. As the weeks progressed, I saw an occasional bee and I stopped running from them. I let them do their thing as I did my thing. I watered the plants and they help pollinate. So far, I have been getting some magnificent zucchini, all thanks to the little but powerful bee.

When I reviewed the pictures inside the house, I realized there were actually two bees on the flower. Cool, eh?







No comments:

Post a Comment